Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baking Makes the Heart Grow Warmer...

Well today I was snowed in and so I decided to bake some cookies! And drinks some Riesling, of course. But none the less this is a COOKING blog not a wine blog. lol

Well I decided to bake Andes Creme de Menthe chunk cookies. I was extremely excited about these cookies because I absolutely adore Andes, let's see how this goes...
Here's the recipe!
From the back of the Andes Creme de Menth Baking Chips bag-
1/2 cup of salted butter-softened
3/4 cup of dark brown-sugar
1/2 cups of white granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 packaged of Andes Creme de Menthe Baking chops
2 2/3 cups of flower

Blend butter, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and eggs until mixed. Stir in Andes Baking Chips and then flower.
Chill for about an hour. Measure cut approximately 1 oz of dough. Form ball and slightly flatten. Raise oven rack to one level above middle and bake on non-stick pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 min Cool on pans for 4 min before removing.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

 Notice my favorite spatula, it has cup cakes on it :) It came in a 2 pack at target with a blue one for $1!

 This was the easy part, nice and easy to mix, very pretty and minty :)



AND THEN... comes the 2 and 2/3 cups of flour... I looked at that and thought "Ok, cookies aren't my strong suit but thats A LOT of flour. But I guess I'll follow the recipe"
So I'm adding the flour and stirring and stirring and getting a work out...... and then this happens...


 Stirring so hard and trying to add ALL that flour and it flew everywhere..
At this point I'm not hoping for very good cookies because they look like they're going to be dry. When I was trying to form the cookies it was pretty difficult, they kept flaking apart!



 And this is what I get, do they even look like cookies? Semi dry, definitely not what I expected. I expected more from my favorite mint chocolate candy. But alas I love Andes too much to give up, so I shall try again and use LESS FLOUR...
Whew Okay I'm done ranting about the flour... On to the next recipe.

Nestle Toll House Semi- Sweet chocolate and Premier White Morsel Cookies

2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup of butter softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cup of Nestle Toll House Swirled Sweet Chocolate & Premier White morsels, divided
1 cup of nuts

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl until Creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture mixture. Stir in 1 cup of morsels  and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Top dallops with remaining morsels.
Bake for 11-13 min or until golden brown.



They're so pretty!!


It's like a morsel forest!

Something I learned about cookies today ~ Keep the dough cold when you are forming them. If not they will get VERY sticky and stick to your fingers. I took  a break after loading the first batch and put the dough in the fridge to chill.
Oven baked gooey-ness! THIS is what a cookie is supposed to look like! And they taste superb!

Well this is usually what I do on my days off.

Tonight I am feel nostalgic so I all going to cook some chili, more blogging to come!

Love you guys, be safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment