Sunday, February 6, 2011

Holy meat that's a lot of cow!

With all this cold weather I thought it would be appropriate to make some chili! Yum Yum

Serious Chili from Cook this not That, David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding

3 ancho chilis
10 dried chilies de arbol
1 tbsp or oil or bacon grease
2 lb of chuck roast cut into 1/2" pieces
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 medium onions, diced
2 poblano peppers minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can (28 oz) tomato puree
2 cups low sodium beef stock
1 can 14-16oz pinto beans
    Diced onions, minced jalepeno, shredded cheese, chipped cilantro and or sour cream for serving

Method~
heat a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Add the chiles and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly toasted and crispy. The chiles de arbol will take about 5 min and the anchos about 10. (be careful not to breathe too deeply- chile smoke has been known to cause wilds fits of coughing) (and it smells bad). Discard stems and seeds and place chiles into coffee grinder or food processor. Grind into a fine dust. This is your chili powder- the heart of this dish.  (and it smells)
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Sear the meat until all side are nicely browned, then add the onions, poblano peppers, garlic, cumin and 2 tbs of the chili powder (remember, its the smelly stuff). Cooking, stirring occasionally for about 5 min or until vegetables are softened. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Lower the heat and simmer for at least 45 min or up to 90 min, until beef is fork tender.
Stir in the beans a few min before serving, heat through.

So this is some pretty intense chili. I've never had chili made with actual chiles, I guess thats because I live in Texas, and we're used to cowboy chili lol.

Chile carnage!!

WOW this dish had A LOT of prep work. Mostly on cutting the chuck roast into 1/2" pieces. I never realized how fatty chuck roast is, probably because I just throw it in the crock pot and let it go. So maybe this is why the beef prep took me so long, I was trying to cut out as much of the fat as possible, about half way through I contemplated going vegan again. Woah. When I make this dish again I will take the slacker route and either use stew meat (not sure if that will taste right) OR ground turkey.

So now onto praising this recipe. I loved branching out and cooking something completely different. Plus it used real chiles and if you know me you know I'm part Mexican (and by part I mean my taste buds and stomach), so I really enjoyed this.


The chiles are ready to meet their maker...


I let my chili cook for about an hour and half, I had time to spare so I wanted it to be EPIC.

I was so excited about eating it,  I forgot to take a pic of my bowl, this was Brandon's and he had already taken a bite... oops.

Sorry there was no picture of the beef I was too annoyed/grossed out when I got done cutting it so I just put it in the pan and walked away for a min, lol!


ANYWAY this chili  had amazing flavor and was very filling but not heavy. Perfect for a cold snowy day :)


I also made some of my Mom's amazing pumpkin bread. BUT you only get pictures... no recipe, its a family secret ;-) Plus I give loaves away during the holidays so what fun would it be if everyone had the recipe!?




Perfect!

Today is Super Bowl Sunday so I will be making stuffed jalepenos, deviled eggs, queso, guacamole, and home made ranch.
Blog Ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment